The Civil Society Forum brought together people from business, labour, research institutions and non-governmental organisations, including environmental and social rights groups. Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa and Swaziland of the SADC EPA Group were represented.
The main objectives of the Forum were:
- To sensitise civil society on the Southern African Development Community-European Union(SADC-EU) Economic Partnership Agreement (the EPA), with specific attention to the sustainable development objectives embedded in it.
- To explore the role of civil society in the EPA implementation and monitoring processes.
- To share knowledge of best practices in the region on participation and monitoring.
Participants were invited to engage on a number of underlying questions, including: How is sustainable development mainstreamed into trade and other policies, both in the EU and in SADC EPA countries? How can the impact of the EPA be monitored? In which ways are citizens’ voices heard? Where do the opportunities and challenges of the EPA lie?
The introductory session and keynote speeches were followed by five breakaway sessions. These focused on identifying how to monitor the EPA’s impact over time around its economic, social and environmental dimensions (such as economic inclusion, gender, poverty eradication, labour standards, environmental protection, use of resources, alignment with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and development co-operation). The suggestions from the groups will feed into the SADC-EU EPA mechanisms on monitoring to be adopted in the coming months.
- Economic Partnership Agreement between the SADC EPA group and the EU — DAFF and the dtiEconomic Partnership Agreement between the SADC EPA group and the EU — DAFF and the dti (PDF, 2MB)
- SADC-EU EPA Implementation of the Agreement: Role of civil society – SADC SecretariatSADC-EU EPA Implementation of the Agreement: Role of civil society – SADC Secretariat (PDF, 1MB )
- Role of EESC in the trade and sustainable provisions of the EU trade agreement – European Economic and Social CommitteeRole of EESC in the trade and sustainable provisions of the EU trade agreement – European Economic and Social Committee (PDF, 750KB)
- One year into new trade deal, European commissioner urges South African firms to take fuller advantage – Engineering News 11.10.2017
- Commissioner Malmström in South Africa to celebrate first anniversary of regional trade agreement – tralac 16.10.2017
- South Africa fails to exploit free trade agreement access to massive EU market – Daily Maverick 16.10.2017
- South Africa: SA, EU Mark Anniversary of Economic Partnership – AllAfrica 17.10.2107
- EU remains focused on progressive trade policies, transparency – Engineering News 17.10.2017
- Malmström raises EU’s concern over South Africa’s stance towards renewables IPPs – Engineering News 17.10.2017
- Global trade: Path to shared prosperity: Speech by EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmström at Wits University – tralac 18.10.2017
- Defence of trade: EU remains focused on progressive trade policies, transparency –Engineering News. 3.11.2017 (PDF, 500KB)
Civil Society Forum October
South African Cheese and Wine Business Reception at Liliesleaf
KEYNOTE SPEECHES - VIDEOS